I recently attended a talk on the OMA’s Physician Health Program where they discussed THE BASICS guide to helping physicians develop strategies for coping with stress and building personal resilience. This is a quick and worthwhile read. BASICS stands for:
- Body: Allostatic load, homeostasis, nutrition, toxins, sleep, exercise, personal care
- Affect: Personality/stress/suffering, perfectionism, cognitive distortions, changing thinking & changing feeling
- Social: Connections with family and friends
- Intellect: Intellectual diversion, occupational considerations, control, change, choice
- Community: Barriers to community & genuine community
- Spirituality: Practices that enhance resilience
Why not create your own resilience action plan using the BASICS Checklist!